On December 13, the MNCM board of directors approved the election of Beth Averbeck, MD, Senior Medical Director of Primary Care at HealthPartners, as MNCM Board Chair. The board also approved the election of Mark Matthias, MD, Vice President of Medical Affairs and Acute Care Division at CentraCare to serve as MNCM Vice Chair. Both officers will serve in their appointed roles for two-year terms.
MNCM board members continuing to serve in 2019 include:
- Joseph Bianco, MD, Director, Primary Care, Essentia Health
- Cara Broich, RN, CPHQ, Senior Director, Quality and Clinical Advancement, Medica
- Jon Christianson, PhD, James A. Hamilton Chair in Health Policy, School of Public Health, U of M
- Kevin Croston, MD, Chief Executive Officer, North Memorial Health
- Howard Epstein, MD, SFHM, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, PreferredOne
- Bentley Graves, Director, Health Care and Transportation, Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
- David Homans, MD, Minnesota Hospital Association Representative
- Deb Krause, Vice President, Minnesota Health Action Group
- Mariam Mohamed, Consumer Representative
- Dan Trajano, MD, MBA, Senior Medical Director, BlueCross BlueShield of Minnesota
- Mary Ellen Wells, FACHE, Consumer Representative
- Brian Whited, MD, MBA, Vice Chair-Operations, Mayo Clinic Health System
- Pam Houg, Office Manager, Minnesota Council of Health Plans (ex officio)
- Lawrence Massa, President, Minnesota Hospital Association (ex officio)
- Claire Neely, MD, President and Chief Executive Officer, Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement (ex officio)
- Jim Schowalter, President and Chief Executive Officer, Minnesota Council of Health Plans (ex officio)
- Janet Silversmith, Chief Executive Officer, Minnesota Medical Association (ex officio)
- Julie Sonier, President, MN Community Measurement (ex officio)
The MNCM board of directors represents the breadth and depth of the many stakeholder groups we are proud to serve and we extend our thanks to them for their service to our community.
Beth Averbeck, MD
HealthPartners Medical Group
Senior Medical Director of Primary Care
Dr. Averbeck is an executive physician leader with extensive experience in organizational culture, clinical operations, governance, quality improvement, measure development, and physician resilience. She joined HealthPartners in 1992 as a practicing internist and is now responsible for HealthPartners primary care practice overseeing 400 clinicians in over 40 practice locations. She maintains a clinical practice in geriatrics.
Her leadership in redesigning ambulatory care has been recognized by the American Medical Group Association (AMGA) which named HealthPartners Medical Group the recipient of the Acclaim Award, its highest honor, in 2006 and 2012. In 2010, Dr. Averbeck and her team were honored with an Acclaim Award honoree for their work reducing health disparities.
Dr. Averbeck earned a bachelor’s degree at St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota, and earned a Doctor of Medicine from the University of Minnesota Medical School. She serves on the boards of Minnesota Community Measurement, the Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement, and the American Medical Group Association.
Mark Matthias, MD
Vice President of Medical Affairs and Acute Care Division
Mark joined St. Cloud Hospital in 2011 as Vice President of Medical Affairs and in October 2015 became Vice President of Medical Affairs and Acute Care Division.
He trained at the University of Minnesota Medical School and completed his residency in Family Practice and Community Health at Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park. Mark has been a physician leader in Mankato, Hutchinson, and Willmar.