MNCM is seeking workgroup members to participate in a focused measure redesign of the blood pressure component for the Optimal Diabetes Care and Optimal Vascular Care measures. The workgroup’s scope of redesign will include potential changes to:
- The blood pressure component < 140/90 in light of recent updated guidelines
- The use of ambulatory blood pressure (ABP) and home blood pressure monitoring (HBP)
Deadline for nominations for workgroup members is Friday, February 16, 2018.
New guidelines for the prevention, detection, evaluation and management of high blood pressure were published in November 2017 by the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association (ACC/AHA). These guidelines recommend lower systolic (<130) and diastolic (<80) treatment targets for patients with hypertension as well as those with high risk conditions such as diabetes and ischemic vascular disease. Moving to a new blood pressure target is not necessarily a straightforward change as there are conflicting guidelines and disagreement among providers and specialty societies. The American Academy of Family Practice has formally declined the endorsement of the new guidelines citing concerns with methodology and perceived conflicts of interest.
We are seeking to convene a multi-stakeholder workgroup with a balance of provider specialties and health care organizations to help us evaluate these new guidelines. Preference will be given to clinicians whose patients are included in these measures. It is anticipated that this work will be completed in one or two meetings starting in March 2018.
We are currently seeking participants to represent the following stakeholder groups:
- Clinicians who provide care to patients with diabetes or ischemic vascular disease (IVD)
(Internal or Family Medicine, Cardiology, Endocrinology and Nephrology)
- Data analyst
- Quality improvement professional
- Practice or facility administrator
- Health plan representative
- State agency – MDH/DHS
- Consumer or consumer advocate representing the interests of patients with diabetes or IVD
- Employers or other group purchasers
To nominate yourself or another individual, please complete this form. If nominating someone other than yourself, your nomination will generate an invitation to complete the self-nomination process.
Thank you for your interest!